Organisation : Intellectual Property Office of the Philippine (IPO)
Facility Name : Apply For Utility Model
Country : Philippines
Website : https://www.ipophil.gov.ph/services/utility-model/
|Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.
What is Utility Model?
A Utility Model is a protection option, which is designed to protect innovations that are not sufficiently inventive to meet the inventive threshold required for standard patents application. It may be any useful machine, implement, tools, product, composition, process, improvement or part of the same, that is of practical utility, novelty and industrial applicability. A utility model is entitled to seven (7) years of protection from the date of filing, with no possibility of renewal.
Related / Similar Facility : IPO Philippines Trademark Online Search
Eligibility of Utility Model
Any technical solution of a problem in any field of human activity which is new and industrially applicable shall be registrable. The provisions regarding “Non-Patentable Inventions” as provided for in Part 2, Rule 202 of the Regulations for Patents shall apply, mutatis mutandis, to non-registrable utility models:
1.Discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
2. Schemes, rules and methods of performing mental acts, playing games or doing business, and programs for computers;
3. Methods for treatment of the human or animal body by surgery or therapy and diagnostic methods practiced on the human or animal body. This provision shall not apply to products and composition for use in any of these methods;
4. Plant varieties or animal breeds or essentially biological process for the production of plants or animals. This provision shall not apply to micro-organisms and non-biological and microbiological processes.
5. Provisions under this subsection shall not preclude Congress to consider the enactment of a law providing sui generis protection of plant varieties and animal breeds and a system of community intellectual rights protection:
6. Aesthetic creations; and
7. Anything which is contrary to public order or morality.
How To Apply For Utility Model in Philippines?
You can register a utility model by filing online through the eUMfile. eUMfile system is an online filing system of the IPOPHL for filing and payment of new Utility Model applications without the need to come to the IPOPHL office or its satellite offices (IPSOs).
Apply Here : https://onlineservices.ipophil.gov.ph/eUMFile/
FAQ On Utility Model Philippines
Frequently Asked Questions FAQ On Utility Model Philippines
Who can file using eUMFile System?
Any individual or juridical entity may file a UM application. For non-resident, applicant should appoint a Resident Agent or Patent Attorney
Is there a need for registration to access the eUMFile?
There is no need for registration to be able to file applications online. The eUMFile system is free of charge and accessible to everyone as long as the applicant has an internet connection and active email address.
What type of browser can I use with the eUMFile System?
The eUMFile System is preferably supported by the latest versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox and Google Chrome. Please take note that to ensure session security, cookies can be disabled.
Is the system available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?
The system is available 24/7, except when the system is under maintenance. Maintenance schedule will be posted at the IPOPHL website.
Why it is important to register a utility model?
A utility model allows the right holder to prevent others from commercially using the protected utility model, without his authorization. Compared with patents, it is relatively inexpensive and easier to obtain.
For more information, please call (02) 7238-6300 local 3101 / 3201
Additional Simplified Procedure
To apply for a utility model online in the Philippines, you can follow these steps:
1. Go to the Intellectual Property Office of the Philippines (IPOPHL) website: https://www.ipophil.gov.ph/services/utility-model/
2. Create an account or log in to your existing account.
3. Click on “File New Application” and select “Utility Model.”
4. Fill out the application form and attach the required documents:
** Request for Registration of Utility Model
** Detailed Description of the Utility Model
** Drawings (if applicable)
** Priority document (if applicable)
** Appointment of Resident Agent (if applicable)
5. Pay the filing fee using any of the available payment methods.
6. Review and submit your application.
Once your application is submitted, you will receive a confirmation email. Your application will then be processed by IPOPHL. If there are any deficiencies, IPOPHL will notify you and give you a chance to correct them. If your application is approved, you will be issued a Certificate of Registration. This certificate will give you the exclusive right to make, use, sell, and offer to sell your utility model in the Philippines for a period of 10 years.
Here are some additional tips for applying for a utility model online in the Philippines:
** Make sure that you have a clear and concise description of your utility model. The description should be detailed enough so that a skilled person can understand how to make and use your invention.
** If you have any drawings or diagrams of your utility model, be sure to attach them to your application. This will help IPOPHL to better understand your invention.
** If you are claiming priority from a previous patent application, be sure to attach a copy of the priority document to your application.
** If you are a non-resident of the Philippines, you will need to appoint a resident agent to represent you in your utility model application.