You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from Apply for the Gas Rebate : New South Wales Planning & Environment

Organization : New South Wales Planning & Environment
Facility : Apply for the Gas Rebate
State : New South Wales
Country : Australia
Website :

Sponsored Links:
You can now ask your question on this facility / status. Ask here (OR) Go to the bottom of this page for comments.

NSW Apply for the Gas Rebate

On 3 September 2017 the NSW Government announced an increase in the rates for all NSW energy rebates including the Gas Rebate. The increase is effective from 1 July 2017.

Related : New South Wales Apply for the Low Income Household Rebate :

This means that some customers will be entitled to an additional rebate payment for the period prior to 3 September. The Department of Planning and Environment is working with gas retailers for those additional payments to be credited to customer accounts as quickly as possible.

The Gas Rebate helps eligible NSW households to pay their gas bills. The Gas Rebate provides :
** $110 (was $90) (excluding GST) each financial year to eligible customers who hold a natural gas account with a gas retailer of their choice; or
** $121 (was $99) each financial year to eligible customers with on-supplied LPG or natural gas and living in residential communities, retirement villages and strata schemes; or

** $121 (was $99) each financial year to eligible customers that use delivered LPG (bottled gas) for basic household needs such as cooking, heating or hot water.
Note : this rebate cannot be claimed for the use of small BBQ gas bottles or bottled gas less than 45Kg/88L in mass.


To be eligible for the NSW Gas Rebate, you need to :
** be a resident in New South Wales; and
** be the account holder of a natural gas account with a retailer; or

** be a long term resident of an on-supplied residential community, or a resident of an on-supplied retirement village, or a resident of an on-supplied strata scheme; and whose name and address appears on the gas account for individually metered consumption of natural gas or Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) to his or her principal place of residence; or

** purchase LPG in cylinders 45Kg/88L or greater to use for domestic cooking, heating or hot water at your principal place of residence; and your name, address, LPG cylinder size and date of LPG purchase/refill appears on a tax invoice/receipt issued by your LPG supplier; and

** hold either a
: Pensioner Concession Card issued by the DHS/DVA; or DHS Health Care Card*; or DVA Gold Card marked with either: War Widow or War Widower Pension, or Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI), or Disability Pension (EDA).

* This refers to holders of the Centrelink Health Care Card. If you have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card, Low Income Health Care Card, Foster Child Health Care Card or Ex-Carer Allowance (Child) Health Care Card you do not qualify for this rebate.

How do I Apply?

Different application and payment processes apply depending on whether you hold a natural gas account with a retailer (such as AGL, Energy Australia or Dodo), receive a gas bill for bottled gas from an LPG supplier, or receive a gas bill on behalf of the operator (or strata manager) of an on-supplied residential community, retirement village or strata scheme.

Retailer Customers

If you have a natural gas account with an authorised energy retailer, then you apply for the NSW Gas Rebate directly to your retailer.

To do this you simply need to contact your retailer and notify them of the type of concession card you hold (Pensioner Concession Card, Health Care Card or Gold DVA card) and ask them to apply the NSW Gas Rebate to your account.

On-Supplied & LPG Customers

If you purchase LPG bottled gas, have your LPG bottles refilled, or are billed for your gas (LPG or natural gas) by your residential community/retirement village/strata scheme, then you need to complete a paper application form for the NSW Gas Rebate and post it to the Department at
NSW Gas Rebate
PO Box 435
Parramatta NSW 2124

Please ensure that you attach a valid invoice when you submit your paper application form. A valid invoice must include :
** the applicant’s name
** the applicant’s address

** the size/amount of the gas purchased or refilled (For LPG-minimum cylinder size 45Kg/88L) and the date of purchase/refill (must be dated within the current financial year for which you are applying i.e. 2017/18, 1st July 2017- 30th June 2018)

** the date and meter reading from your most recent gas meter read (which must be less than three months old and have occurred within the current financial year for which you are applying i.e. 2017/18, 1st July 2017- 30th June 2018)

Please note that your invoice must be printed. If you have not received a printed invoice, contact your supplier and ask them to print an invoice for you.

If you believe there is sufficient cause for the Department to accept your hand-written invoice, please contact us and we will assess your circumstances on a case by case basis.

The Department will only consider hand-written invoices prepared from a branded invoice book (company stamps will not be accepted) and only when the supplier does not have the capacity to provide printed invoices.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I receive the rebate if I use LPG?
Yes. From 1 July 2016 you can apply directly to the Department of Industry for a gas rebate for use of either on-supplied or delivered, bottled LPG.

2. Will I still receive the Gas Rebate if I change gas retailers?
Yes. Gas retailers are required to deliver the Gas Rebate to eligible customers and this should continue when you change gas retailers. However, when you change retailers, make sure you let them know that you are eligible for the Gas Rebate.

3. What does on-supplied mean?
On-supplied is the term used when the resident receives a gas bill/invoice issued by, or on behalf of, the owners/management of the residential community, retirement village or strata scheme, rather than a bill issued by a gas retailer of the residents’ choice.

4. I have two gas accounts. Can I get two Gas Rebates?
No. You are only able to receive one rebate which is applied to your principal place of residence.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2017

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map