You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from Apply for Family Energy Rebate : New South Wales Planning & Environment

Organization : New South Wales Planning & Environment
Facility : Apply for Family Energy Rebate
State : New South Wales
Country : Australia
Website :

Sponsored Links:
You can now ask your question on this facility / status. Ask here (OR) Go to the bottom of this page for comments.

NSW Apply for Family Energy Rebate

The Family Energy Rebate (FER) helps NSW family households with dependent children to cover the costs of their energy bills.

Related : New South Wales Planning & Environment Apply for the Gas Rebate :

On 3 September 2017 the NSW Government announced an increase in the rates for all NSW energy rebates including the Family Energy Rebate. The increase is effective from 1 July 2017.

This means that some customers will be entitled to an additional rebate payment for the period prior to 3 September. The Department of Planning and Environment is working with electricity retailers for those additional payments to be credited to customer accounts as quickly as possible.

The FER is available to applicants who were eligible for and received the Family Tax Benefit (FTB) from the Department of Human Services (DHS) in the previous financial year.

The Family Energy Rebate provides :
** $180 (was $150) a year to eligible customers that do not hold a DHS Concession Card or Health Care Card; or,
** $20 (was $15) a year to eligible customers that do hold a DHS Concession Card or Health Care and also qualify for the Low Income Household Rebate of $285 (was $235) a year.

Who Can Apply?

You can apply if you are :
** A resident of NSW; and
** The account holder of your electricity account with an electricity retailer or an on-supplied electricity account holder; and
** The recipient for the FTB during the previous financial year.

Please note :
your FTB must have been finalised by the DHS before you submit an application for the FER. To check this you can contact the DHS on 136 150.

Before I Apply

You will need to have the following information ready before you apply :
** Your DHS Customer Reference Number (CRN)
** Your contact details
** A copy of your most recent electricity bill
** Make sure that your FTB has been finalised by the DHS for the previous financial year. Any application you lodge will be declined until your FTB has been finalised and the DHS have sent you correspondence to confirm this.

Note :
DHS cannot finalise your FTB entitlement until your household tax returns have been completed by the ATO. If you or your partner did not need to complete a tax return, you need to contact the DHS to notify them of this before they can finalise your FTB. This process can take upwards of one month in peak periods.

How do I Apply?

The FER application should be lodged by the person in your household receiving the FTB payments from DHS. If you are unsure, your FTB correspondence will be addressed to the person registered with DHS as the FTB recipient.

The rebate applicant, FTB recipient and electricity account holder must be the same person. The last name you use when you lodge your rebate application must be exactly the same as the last name on your account with DHS and your retailer.

If you do not have access to the internet, do not want to lodge an online application or you are an on-supplied applicant, you will need to complete a paper application form. Please note that on-supplied applicants need to include a copy of their most recent electricity bill with their paper application.

You can send your paper application form either by e-mail to rebates.fer [AT] or by post to
Family Energy Rebate
PO Box 435
Parramatta, NSW 2124.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2017

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map