You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from Apply For a School Travel Pass New South Wales

Organization : New South Wales Government
Facility : Apply For a School Travel Pass
State : New South Wales
Country : Australia
Website :

Sponsored Links:
You can now ask your question on this facility / status. Ask here (OR) Go to the bottom of this page for comments.

NSW Apply For a School Travel Pass

The School Student Transport Scheme (SSTS) gives eligible school students free or subsidised travel between home and school, on NSW public transport, including trains, buses, ferries and light rail.

Related : Apply for the Digital Driver Licence New South Wales :

Depending on where you’re travelling, you may receive a free school travel pass, a School Opal card, or both.

Eligible cards are automatically updated for the new school year, so you’ll only need to apply if you’re :
** applying for a school travel pass for the first time
** changing name, school and/or address, or
** requesting an additional pass as a result of a new shared parental responsibility situation.

What you’ll Need

** a valid email address.
Applications must be made by a parent or legal guardian if you’re under 16 years of age. If you’re 16 years or older you need to complete and sign the application form yourself.

How to Apply

** Select the ‘Apply online’ button.
** Complete the online application.
** Note down your application ID number, starting with the prefix ‘N’ or ‘UN’.
** You’ll then be able to track the status of your application. If you’re unable to apply online you can call 131 500 for help.

Who’s Eligible

You need to live a minimum distance from your school to be eligible for a free school travel pass.
The minimum distance varies according to the year/grade you are enrolled in that calendar year :
i. Years K to 2 (Infants) : no minimum distance
ii. Years 3 to 6 (Primary) : 1.6 kilometres straight line distance or 2.3 kilometres walking or further
iii. Years 7 to 12 (Secondary) : 2 kilometres straight line distance or 2.9 kilometres walking or further.

Things to Keep in Mind

** School Opal cards are issued for free school travel, and as School Term Bus Passes, for travel within the Opal network. They’re issued by Transport for NSW.

** For students travelling on buses outside the Opal network, school bus passes and School Term Bus Passes are issued by individual operators. Some operators in rural and regional areas may choose not to issue passes to students.

** The School Opal card/bus pass is only valid for use between home and school on the transport operators specified in your original application. If you try to use your School Opal card for unapproved travel the Opal card reader will show an error message.

** If you don’t qualify for free travel to and from school, you may be eligible to purchase a School Term Bus Pass.
** For personal travel, children aged 16 years and under should use a Child/Youth Opal card.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2017

Contact Us   Privacy Policy