You are here: Home > ZZ-Old-Archived-Posts
All posts from

Apply For Income Support Isle of Man

Name of the Organization : Isle of Man Government
Type of Facility : Apply For Income Support
Country : Isle of Man

Sponsored Links:
You can now ask your question on this facility / status. Ask here (OR) Go to the bottom of this page for comments.

Website :
Online Services:

Apply For Income Support :

Income Support (IS) is an income-related benefit for certain categories of people who are not working or who work for less than 16 hours per week and do not have enough money to live on.

Related : Isle of Man National Insurance File Your Annual Income Tax Return Form Online :

Income Support is designed primarily to ensure, that people aged 16 or over (and their families) have enough money to meet their basic living costs when their own income fails to do so.

Basic qualifying conditions:

To qualify for IS, you must be:
** aged 16 years or over, and
** an Isle of Man Worker

The following are the main groups who may qualify for Income Support:
** A lone parent (with at least one child under the age of 12)
** A person who is incapable of work due to incapacity or disability
** A person who is caring for someone who is sick or disabled
** A woman who is, or has been pregnant, but income support is payable only for the period commencing 11 weeks before her expected week of confinement and ending 15 weeks after her pregnancy ends
** A student living away from their parents, but only in certain circumstances
** A person who has attained the qualifying age. This means:
** ** In the case of a woman, her state pension age
** ** In the case of a man, the age which is the state pension age of a woman born on the same day as the man
** A deaf student
** A person on parental or paternity leave from their employment and not receiving payment from their employer during that absence

People required to register for work as a condition of entitlement to benefit are not entitled to IS. Instead, they should claim Jobseeker’s Allowance.

How much could I get and how am I paid?:
The amount of Income Support payable to you, is the difference between the amount the law says you need to live on and the amount of money you already have coming in.

Payment is made either by weekly or fortnightly cheque which can be cashed at a post office or paid into a bank or building society account or by order which can be cashed at a post office or by direct credit every 4 weeks into your bank or building society account.

How and when should I apply?:
Use the claim form and return it to:
Income Support Group
First Floor
Markwell House
Market Street
Douglas IM1 2RZ

Telephone:+44 1624 685084/5 (over pension age) +44 1624 685094 (under pension age)

or either the Port Erin or Ramsey district office. A claim should be submitted as soon as possible as the backdating of a claim is not normally allowed.

Social Security can arrange a “home visit” to assist you to complete the claim form in certain circumstances.

A number of documents may be required when submitting a claim to Income Support:
** Your birth certificate
** Proof of how much rent, rates, mortgage interest, service charges or board and lodging charges are paid by you
** If you have more than £5,000 in savings and investments – proof of the amount is required
** Evidence of any other income received by you (this does not include any other social security benefit)

If you are unable to produce the required documents a claim should still be made and the necessary papers can be brought or sent in later.

Changes in your circumstances:
Your benefit will be worked out from the information you give us. If any of this information changes, you must tell the Income Support Group before cashing anymore cheques or orders. If you think there is something we might need to know, but are unsure, tell us anyway.

What else might I be able to claim?:
Customers in receipt of Income Support may be able to get:
** free prescriptions
** free dental treatment
** vouchers to help with the cost of glasses
** free school meals
** help to assist with the cost of a funeral
** Budgeting Loans and Exceptional Needs Grants
** free TV licences
** help to assist with the expenses of a new baby
** help with the cost of children participating on Sports Development Schemes
** help with the cost of travelling to hospital for treatment

For further information on Income Support, please see downloadable documents.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2017

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map