You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from : Apply For Legal Aid New South Wales

Name of the Organization : Legal Aid New South Wales
Type of Facility : Apply For Legal Aid
Country : Australia

Sponsored Links:
You can now ask your question on this facility / status. Ask here (OR) Go to the bottom of this page for comments.

Website :

Apply For Legal Aid:

If you need ongoing legal help from a lawyer, you will need to apply for a ‘grant of legal aid’ and fill out a Legal Aid NSW application form. A grant of legal aid means that you have a lawyer employed by Legal Aid NSW or a private lawyer paid for by Legal Aid NSW representing you in your legal matter.

Related : Services Commission of South Australia Applying For Legal Aid :

If possible, it is best to get legal advice before you apply for legal aid. Call the free legal help line LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529 to find an advice service or search for a Legal Aid NSW service near you.

How do I get a grant?:
You need to fill in a legal aid application form to get a grant of legal aid. If you are vision impaired you can read this form using a screen reader. You can also get the legal aid application form from any Legal Aid NSW office, community legal centre, and many private lawyers.

The form has questions about your legal problem and asks you about your financial situation.

You will also need to give us:
** proof of your income, such as copies of your pay slips or a copy of your Centrelink Statement of Benefit
** last three months of your bank or credit union statements for all accounts
** other documentation depending on your legal matter

Once you have completed the form, sign and send it to:
Grants Division
Legal Aid NSW
PO Box K847

Fax it to 02 9219 5533

Take the form to your nearest Legal Aid NSW office.

Who can help me fill out the application form?:
** call LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529
** Legal Aid NSW staff at an advice clinic or by appointment
** a private lawyer may also be able to help you fill out an application form. You can search for a lawyer who does legal aid work.

How do I know if I am eligible for a grant?:
We have clear policies about who can get a grant of legal aid. We look at:
** what you want legal assistance for
** whether it is reasonable in all the circumstances to grant legal aid (called a merit test)
** what you earn and what you own (called a means test).

The means test looks at:
** what money you get from work, Centrelink or other sources
** if you own a car, home or anything else of value
** whether you financially support anyone else, or whether they support you.

Use our Means Test Indicator to see if you are likely to pass the means test.

Our policies:
Grants of legal aid are provided for a range of criminal, family or civil law matters. These may include:
** offences which may incur a gaol sentence
** family issues involving children
** matters that involve DoCs
** other issues such as discrimination and mental health.

You can also check our A to Z guide to policies and Policies in brief to see if legal aid is available for your legal problem. More detailed information about our policies are available in policy online.

If you want to discuss your matter with someone to see if legal aid may be available, you can contact LawAccess NSW on 1300 888 529 or go to your nearest Legal Aid Office.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2017

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map