You are here: Home > Guyana
All posts from Acquiring a Driver’s Licence Using Foreign Licence : Guyana Revenue Authority

Organization : Guyana Revenue Authority
Facility : Acquiring a Driver’s Licence using a Foreign Licence
Country : Guyana
Website :

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

GRA Acquiring Driver’s Licence Using Foreign Licence

Acquisition of a New Driver’s Licence using a ‘Foreign’ Driver’s Licence

Related : Guyana Revenue Authority Obtain Hotel & Rice Factory Licence :

Fee : G$2,000.00
Validity Period : One month


** Valid Foreign Driver’s Licence (Original and Copy); if licence is not in English Language, a translation of the document from the respective Embassy or International Lanaguage Institute.
** Valid form of Identification Identification Card or Passport
** One(1) passport sized photograph
** Completed Application Form

Note : Foreigners are reminded to utilise both their Foreign Driver’s Licence and Driver’s Permit issued by the Guyana Revenue Authority when driving in Guyana.


** Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)

Hire Car Licence


** A valid private driver’s licence for car
** Two years driving experience
** Application for hire car driver’s licence
** Filled application form from the Certifying Office approved by the Traffic Head Quarters, Eve Leary

** Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)
** Valid identification- Passport or National ID
** Formal request for a hire car licence addressed to the Senior Manager, LRO


** The applicant must submit all documents to the Officer.
** The applicant will be directed to the lodgment area while his/her documents are being processed.
** The applicant will be issued with a lodgment slip stating the return date (this slip must be kept safely).

** Upon the return date, the applicant must present the previously issued lodgment slip to the Cashier to make the required payment of $3,000.00 and uplift the licence.
** The applicant will further be directed to the dispatch desk to follow the final necessary procedures and uplift his/her new hire car driver’s licence.

Note : Drivers applying for a Hire Car Licence for any period NOT EXCEEDING seven days will be required to pay G$2,000


1. Which agency is authorised to register motor vehicles?
The Licence Revenue Office (LRO) of the Tax Operations and Services Department of the Guyana Revenue Authority, is the agency authorised to register motor vehicles. The LRO is located at located at 200-201 Camp Street, Georgetown, Guyana.

However, agricultural vehicles can be registered at the Licensing and Certifying Offices in New Amsterdam, Corriverton, Linden and Suddie. Transfer of ownership for motor vehicles is done at GRA Branch Offices.

2. What procedure must I follow when changing ownership of a motor vehicle?
When a motor vehicle is sold or transferred, the following documents must be submitted with the completed application form :
** Tax Compliance Certificate– this is issued after fulfilling all tax obligations or upon making satisfactory arrangements with the Commissioner of Internal Revenue. This certificate is issued at the Internal Revenue Main Office, Robb Street, Georgetown or from any of its branch offices.
** In the case of an estate, the Letter of Administration or Probate is submitted.

3. Who can register for a motor vehicle?
A registered auto dealer, self- importer, or owner of a motor vehicle can register, once all the requirements set out by the Motor Vehicle and Road Traffic Act Chapter 51:02 are met.

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map