You are here: Home > Australia
All posts from Transfer Your Vehicle Registration New South Wales : Roads & Maritime Services

Organization : New South Wales Roads & Maritime Services
Facility : Transfer your Vehicle Registration
State : New South Wales
Country : Australia
Website :

Want to comment on this post?
Go to bottom of this page.

RMS NSW Transfer Your Vehicle Registration

You need to transfer a vehicle’s registration into your name when it comes into your possession or management, for example if you buy a vehicle or inherit one. If you sell a vehicle, you’ll need to lodge a Notice of Disposal.

Related : Roads & Maritime Services Renew/Replace Rider Licence New South Wales :

Buying a Vehicle

When you’re considering buying a vehicle, there are a number of checks you should make to help with your decision :
** Use Roads and Maritime Service’s Check registration and history online service, or the Service NSW mobile app, to find out basic details about the vehicle for free, or to buy a comprehensive information report
** Search the online Personal Property Securities Register to see if there’s any money owing on the vehicle, or if it’s been reported stolen
** Download the official My next car app from NSW Fair Trading.

Important :
Roads and Maritime Services record the registered operator of a vehicle but do not record ownership of that vehicle. The registered operator is not necessarily the ‘owner’ of the vehicle but the person who assumes responsibility for the vehicle under road transport law.

Buying a Vehicle With Special Number Plates

If you’re buying a vehicle with special number plates and the plates are being transferred with the vehicle, all rights and obligations applicable to the special number plates will transfer to you as the customer receiving the Special Number Plates. This may include the activation of an annual fee for Personalised plates which did not previously attract an annual fee.

Transferring Registration into Your Name

Once you’ve bought the vehicle, you’ll need to transfer it into your name within 14 days of it coming into your possession or management. If you do not, a late transfer surcharge may apply. You can transfer registration online, or in person at a registry or service centre.


Note : You can’t transfer registration into an organisation’s name online. Please attend a registry or service centre in person.
To transfer registration online :
** The previous registered operator of the vehicle (the seller) must have lodged a Notice of Disposal
** You need an online account. If you’re not already recorded on Roads and Maritime systems, you’ll need to attend a registry or service centre in person
** You must pay the transfer costs by credit card.

In person

To transfer registration in person, you’ll need to provide :
** A completed Application for Transfer form
** Proof of your identity. If you’re registering the vehicle in the name of an organisation, you need to complete the Representative’s Authority section on the Application for Registration form

** If you send someone else to transfer the registration to your name, you’ll need to complete the Representative’s Authority section on the Application for Registration. Your representative must also provide their own proof of identity
Important : If you’re not already recorded in Roads and Maritime systems, you cannot send a representative – you must attend in person

Leave a Reply

How to add comment : 1) Type your comment below. 2) Type your name. 3) Post comment. © 2021

Contact Us   Privacy Policy   Site Map