Organization : Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Facility : Apply for Citizenship
Country : Armenia
Website : http://www.mfa.am/en/citizenship/
|You can now ask your question related to this facility. Please go to the bottom of this page.|
Apply for Citizenship :
Any person 18 years or older can apply for Armenian citizenship.
Related : Ministry of Foreign Affairs Visa Application Armenia : www.statusin.org/7817.html
Terms of acquiring or terminating Armenian citizenship are settled upon the Law of the Republic of Armenia on “Citizenship of the Republic of Armenia” and Governmental Decision N 1390-N (23 November, 2007).
General Requirements :
legal residence in Armenia for the last 3 years, good knowledge of Armenian, acquaintance with the Constitution of Armenia.
Procedure of acquiring Armenian citizenship is simplified for ethnic Armenians, for spouses of Armenian citizens, for children of former Armenian citizens (must apply within 3 years after reaching adulthood – 18 years) and for persons who have terminated Armenian citizenship after the year of 1995.
In these cases the requirements of legal residence and knowledge of Armenian do not apply. Armenian citizenship can be awarded without any requirement to persons who have provided exceptional service to the Republic of Armenia.
Citizenship of Armenia is awarded upon a decree of the President of the Republic of Armenia. For any additional information please contact the nearest diplomatic representation or consular institution of the Republic of Armenia.
To obtain citizenship of the RA one must personally provide the application and the documents required by the law :
1. If in a foreign country, to a diplomatic representation or consular office of the Republic of Armenia; the documents alongside with the conclusion of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the RA are sent to the Passport and Visa Department of the Police of the RA
2. If in Armenia, to the Passport and Visa Department of the Police of the RA
3. In case there’s a necessity of additional information, the documents are sent to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the RA to obtain its conclusion
4. The documents are sent to the Agency of National Security to obtain its conclusion
5. The Passport and Visa Department of the Police of the RA sends the documents to the Administration of the President of the RA
6. A Decree of the President on providing the citizenship of the RA
7. The citizen gets notification that the documents have been sent to the Administration of the President
8. The citizen gets notification to get acquainted with the Presidential Decree and to participate in the Oath Ceremony
9. According to the Armenian legislation the citizen obtains the passport of the citizen of the RA
About Us :
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Armenia (MFA of Armenia) is a state body of executive power, which under the general leadership of the President of the Republic of Armenia elaborates and implements Armenian policy in the area of foreign affairs, organizes and manages diplomatic service within the framework of its authority.
The MFA acts according to the Constitution of the Republic of Armenia, legislation, decrees, regulations, as well as foreign policy guidelines of the President. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs coordinates the activities of the executive power bodies of the Republic in international arena.